Friday, May 25, 2012

Sluggish one-mile test

I was determined to set a new one-mile pool best today. However, three things didn't bode in my favor. First, I stayed up way too late, playing video games with Kelly, Zack and Wes, so I woke up with only an hour of lap-swim time remaining. Second, while in the pool, stupid kids were messing around in my lane during lap swim, which was really distracting, when I got kicked in the face twice. The Roy Rec Center is usually pretty good about keeping them out, but hey, at least I got some open-water "combat swimming" experience. Haha! And third, my shoulder is still effing sore. I think I did too many bloody push-ups earlier this week and it hasn't fully recovered.

Anyway, I still felt relatively good during my swim. I gave it everything I had and for the first time in a long while, I honestly thought I might puke once I finished. I was encouraged until I looked at my watch and it read 28:51. Crap!! I didn't even beat my best mark for 2012 (28:47), let alone my all-time high (28:36). I'm sure I didn't lose count this time, and its frustrating to see that you only missed a mark by just 15 seconds over the time span of almost a half-hour. That's less than a half-second per lap difference.
Oh well. When I left, they had another 50-mile swim certificate waiting for me at the front desk. That's the third one I've earned and call me a 7-year-old child, but I took it home and slapped it on the fridge. Yes!!!
On a side note, Gordon showed me the design for the GSL marathon swim medals yesterday, and I thought it was pretty dang cool. I love the local "brine shrimp" tribute. That's only one of many reasons GSL is unique, so I think the design was particularly cool.
Total distance: 2,850 yards

No comments:

Post a Comment