Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Descending 1,000

The Roy Rec Center's hours have officially changed for the summer, severely limiting when I can get in the pool. I now have only a one-hour window to swim every day during the week, but that's OK, because it's about time I start open water season. I'm planning on FINALLY joining Utah Open Water for a group swim at the Salt Lake marina on Thursday to christen the new year of outdoor swimming for 2012. Anyway, here's today's short swim.

Warm up
250 free
Core
2 x 1,000 free (17:03 and 16:31)
300 kick with fins
Cool down
300 easy (alternating breast and free every 50)

I'm still really trying to work on my pacing over long distances, especially after my disappointing one-mile time last Friday, so I tried to do a moderate 1,000 followed by another 1,000 negative split on only 30 seconds rest. I knocked off 32 seconds from the first one, so that's a good start. Getting a good sense of pace and then picking it up down the stretch is a tricky beast in marathon swimming...

Total distance: 2,850 yards

No comments:

Post a Comment