Sunday, November 13, 2011

South Davis Masters success!

Today was the big day. I got just enough sleep and was able to get up at a reasonable hour and eat a good breakfast before Jen, Jessica, Kelly and I drove down to Bountiful for the South Davis Masters meet. Right off the bat I was a bit stunned as to how many swimmers were there. I was a little intimidated at first, but settled down after my first event.

Me coming into the wall during the 500-free
 I swam the 50-free first, the event I specialized in during high school, but I was realistic with my seed time, aiming for less than 30 seconds. I felt good, got a good start and when I hit the wall, I had no idea what place I was in. I looked up at the board and saw I finished with a time of 28.41, second in my heat, losing to another swimmer by one-hundredth of a second. Yes, you read right. ONE HUNDREDTH OF A SECOND! Sheesh. It was still, a personal best since I took up swimming again, but nowhere near the time I pulled off when I was 16.

The second event was the 100-IM. I was particularly excited for this one, because I had been practicing it a lot. I was in the third of four heats and got off to an OK start on my butterfly. I kind of had tunnel vision and didn't pay attention to any of the other swimmers around me until I pushed off the wall during the freestyle leg and saw I was out front by an arm-length or so, so I really turned it on and ended up winning my heat with a personal-best time of 1:13.91. My previous personal best was about 1:18.00. Not too shabby. Here's a video of me holding on for the win.

By the time the 500-free came around, I was feeling a bit tired. My shoulder was killing me by this point, despite being loaded up with ibuprofen. Kelly and I had a nice long break between events, so we ate a bagel and warmed up again. We ended up being in the same heat for the first and only time during the meet, so that was fun. However, he was in Lane 2 and I was in Lane 8, so we werent' exactly able to compete neck-and-neck. I was already hurting by about my fourth lap and I feared I pushed it too hard right out of the block. I gutted it out though, and ended up smashing my previous best (7:51.00) with a time of 7:09.64. I was completely shocked.

My last event was the 200-free. Being fairly satisfied with my first three swims, I was just swimming this one to get my money's worth, because my shoulder was shot after the 500. Kelly, Josh and I were going to swim in the 200-free relay to finish the meet, but couldn't find a fourth swimmer, so this ended up being my last event. I tried keeping up with a very fast swimmer from Utah State during my first 100 and I paid for it, running out of gas on my last 50, but I still beat my seed time (2:30.00) with a time of 2:28.85. I count it as a personal best only because I have never swam the 200 before and simply guessed my seed time. And I barely beat it.

Kelly and I after finishing the 500-free. I was spent.
Whew... What a meet. Kelly and I were both pretty happy with our results and we met a lot of good swimmers from around the area. Jessica and Jen were great supporters, even though the meet kind of dragged on down the stretch when we had less events. I hear there is another Masters meet in St. George in January and I'm tempted to sign up. We shall see.

Next up, the Weber State Turkey Triathlon next Saturday...

Total distance: 1,050 yards

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see it went so well for you and that you've got your sights on the next one. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on beating all of your times! I wish we could have put together a relay team, that would have been fun. Maybe at the next one...

    ReplyDelete