Thursday, May 3, 2012

Empty pool and disappointment

Getting a late start to the pool always seems to burn me. It usually gets busiest at the Roy Rec Center during the late hours of lap swim. However, when I got there today, it was completely empty. It might be the first time this year I've had an entire pool to myself. With nobody around except a lifeguard, I decided to test my mile swim again.
The empty pool just after I finished my swim. Note the ripples still in the water.
Warm up
200 free
Core
1,750 free (hard)
Cool down
1,000 free (alternating 150 free easy and 50 breast)

It felt like I pushed it very hard and I was pretty gassed by about 1,000 yards. The last 250 yards were very tough to muscle through, but I still went hard to finish the set. When I looked at my watch, I was shocked to see 28:56. I swam it nine seconds faster during my last mile test and I felt like I went much faster and harder this time around. I'm about 75% sure I did an extra lap, because I recall losing count for a minute there right around 1,200 yards. Because I can't know for sure, I can't bring myself to knock off 45 seconds or so and count it as my new best mile time. It's a shame, but it just wouldn't feel right. I'll have to make sure I don't lose count next time and really smash my old record.

I did a nice and easy 1,000-yard swim as an extended cool down. I was hoping to go to the Salt Lake Marina and join Gords, Josh, Goody and others for an open-water swim, but once again, I couldn't make it. I have to cover a prep soccer game this afternoon. Hopefully I'll get in a nice nap after, because Jen surprised me with midnight showing tickets for The Avengers tonight. Should be fun...

Total distance: 2,950 yards

No comments:

Post a Comment