Saturday, March 17, 2012

Preemptive strike for St. Patty's

I seldom work out on Saturdays, because those mornings are usually reserved for time with Jen before I go to work, but because I start a new job on Monday I have the whole weekend off. I haven't had St. Patrick's Day off in years and I always miss out on hanging out with some friends, so tonight should be fun as Jen and I are doing just that.

That being said, there will likely be a great deal of drinking involved. I don't drink often, especially not in the binge format and when I do drink, it's usually just a beer or two with a meal. I simply grew out of the party life after college, although it is still fun every once in a rare while. Plus, drinking involves a ton of calories. That's why I hit the gym today. There's no lap swim during the day on Saturdays, so I rode the stationary bike instead.

I tried to push myself extra hard, to burn as many calories as I could, so I would feel less guilty about tonight. I only rode for 50 minutes, but I had the resistance level cranked up a bit higher than I normally would, so I was really sweating. Once I hopped off, I knew I didn't slack off, because my thighs and hamstrings were on fire. Got home, did some nice stretching while Jen watched basketball, took a shower and now I'm writing this. A colleague and friend of mine, Matt Piper, gave me some local brews as a parting gift on my last day of work yesterday, so I'm excited to try them. It should be a fun night. I feel like I deserve one...

Total distance: 15 miles cycling

No comments:

Post a Comment