Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Jerks who don't share lanes

I don't run into this problem very often, but today was one of those days I wanted to punch a guy in the pool. Common courtesy when a pool is overcrowded during lap swim (more than one person per lane), is that you split lanes with people, either circle swimming or each person takes a half lane.

Today, every lane had two people in it except one, and that lane featured a jerk who refused to share. The lifeguard, who is kind of in charge, told me to get in his lane anyway, so I did. But the second he saw me on the other side of the pool, he switched over to my side and started circle swimming, as to say, "Don't even think about it, this lane is all mine." Me, being the stubborn person I am, swam right up to him. He stopped, threw his hands in the air and snapped at me, "What are you doing?!" My response was exactly as stated above. The pool is busy and you need to share a lane. He scoffed and then swam around me and promptly got out of the pool. I continued my warm up, but could see him jawing with the lifeguard on the deck. By the way he stormed off and into the locker room, I can tell the lifeguard told him the same thing. I see this guy in the pool all the time and he kind of looks like former Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon. From what I hear, McMahon was a douchebag, too. Hopefully, I don't butt heads with this guy again in the future.

Anyway, here's what I did today.

Warm up
150 free
Core
10 x 100 free
700 free
Cool down
150 breast

Not too bad. If I'm feeling OK on Friday, I'm gonna go for a third swim this week.

Total distance: 2,000 yards

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha this is too funny! I usually just take half of a lane and leave the other side open in case someone wants to get in. It's a pain to circle swim when you are doing long distances and everyone else is doing 25's and 50's. Yesterday a girl got in my lane and started swimming straight at me! I guess she wanted to circle swim but didn't bother letting me know. She was doing breaststroke and I was doing fast 200's. I kept passing her about every 50 and we kept getting bunched up on the walls. It was pissing me off! Finally another lane opened up and she moved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear this same story every once in a while. Unless you're swimming in your own pool in your backyard, you have no right to keep a lane to yourself. I'm sure there were many others who just caved and let him have his own lane. But that does all the other swimmers a disservice. Thanks for standing your ground!

    Good to hear that your shoulder is holding up. Keep going man.

    ReplyDelete