Monday, December 19, 2011

Pushed it too hard

This morning I woke up at about 9:30, which is unusually early for me. I don't get home from work until almost 12:30 every night and I don't fall asleep until well after 2 a.m., so I generally wake up around 10-11 a.m. before going to the gym.

I didn't have a set plan on what I was going to do, but when I walked into the cardio room, all the bikes were taken and only one treadmill was available. I guess running was my only option. I started nice and easy for about 1.5 miles and then increased the speed a little bit. By the time I hit three miles I cranked it up even more. Just after I reached 4.5 miles I saw a bike open up and I was quick to snag it before someone else did. I usually don't like to immediately stop when I'm running (cooling down with a brisk walk for a couple of minutes is good for your heart) but I didn't want to waste the opportunity.

When I got on the bike, I initially wanted to go for a full 30 minutes, but after running for 45 minutes, my energy was sapped. I only lasted 15 minutes and managed a measly 3.6 miles before I had to stop. My legs were like jello.

Once again, against my better judgement, I immediately crawled into the pool, even though I was already very tired. Here's what I did.

Warm up: (although I was very much already warm)
150 free
Core:
3 x 150 100 free with bilateral breathing & 50 breast
Cool down:
200 breast

Afterward, I was feeling shaky and sick. I don't think the swim pushed me over the edge, because I only did a little bit and it was mostly relaxing breaststroke. I sat in the sauna for about 10 minutes and that seemed to just compound the problem. I knew I was in trouble and possibly dehydrated and I need calories badly. I jumped in my car (probably not a good idea) and sped off to the nearest food joint, which happened to be Wendy's. Once I sucked down some more water and got some food in me, I immediately started to feel better.

I think I need to do a better job of hydrating and eating a small snack before going to the gym. This isn't the first time I've had something like this happen, although it isn't common.

Total distance: 850-yard swim, 4.6-mile run, 3.6-mile bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment