Saturday, December 31, 2011

My 2012 exercise goals

I've put a lot of thought into what I expect from myself in 2012, so hopefully I'm not setting my standards too high. I competed in four events in 2011 and I hope to do at least six or seven this year. Most of them are swim events with a few runs and one triathlon. Of course, all of it depends on what I hear from the doctor next week regarding my shoulder. Depending on what the problem is, I may or may not require surgery, so when I can actually start swimming is up in the air.

Here are the events I absolutely plan on competing in:
Running from an Angel 10k: (10k run) Jan. 8
Salt Lake City Half Marathon: (13.4-mile run) April 16
Great Salt Lake Open Water Marathon: (1-mile swim) June 9
Deer Creek Open Water Marathon: (5k swim) Aug. 13
South Davis Masters Swim Meet: (several swims) Mid Nov.
Weber State Turkey Triathlon: (sprint triathlon) Mid-to-late Nov.

Here are the events I'd like to compete in. But I'll probably only be able to do one or two of them:
Utah Summer Games: (several swims) June 14-16
Escape from Alcatraz: (1.5 mile swim) July 28
Slam the Dam: (5-mile swim) Oct. 1
Golden Gate Bridge Open Water Swim: (1.6-mile swim) Late Oct.

I've also taken into account that other events I haven't yet discovered might pop up, so the optional events list may grow as the year goes on. I've also set many other goals for 2012, some relating to the above events, and some not, such as beating all my times from the events I participated in in 2011.

Here are my goals for exercise totals:
Swimming: 175 miles (did 107 in 2011)
Running: 300 miles (did 213 in 2011)
Cycling: 700 miles (did 303 in 2011)

I hope to lose at least 10 more pounds this year. I doubt I will be able to lose much more, based on my height and weight. My goal is to be at 170 pounds or less by the end of the year. I also want to make more strides in my diet, such as cutting out more fast food, late-night eating and sweets. I think I did a good job in 2011 of adding more fruits and veggies into my diet and I want to take that to the next level this year.

Here we go...

1 comment:

  1. Having the willpower to make good food choices is HUGE! You're awesome. Those are some great goals and I'm glad to see that our paths will cross several times next year. Happy new year bro!

    ReplyDelete