Friday, December 16, 2011

200 miles on foot and no self control

Today I finally reached the 200-mile mark for running this year. I didn't set any specific goals for running this year, and I've mostly been using it as an alternate to fill in the days between swimming. But as time wore on and I my totals continued to grow I saw that it was possible to reach 200 this year if I stayed consistent, running between 25-35 miles a month.

Breaststroke: Nice and easy on the arms and shoulders.
Today, I eclipsed that mark while I was on the treadmill trying to run another 10k. However, after about 3.3 miles, I finally caved and went down to the pool. I was watching an older guy do a very fast and efficient breaststroke while I was running and it made me think I could still swim as long as I stick to breaststroke. It doesn't put nearly as much strain on your shoulders, considering you get most of your propulsion from kicking.

So, I jumped in and had just under 20 minutes before lap swim closed. I tried to get in as many breaststroke yards as I could and pushed it hard, getting exactly 1,000 yards with about a minute to spare. My shoulder didn't hurt, I got a good workout and I scratched that itch of needing to swim. All in all, a good day...

Total distance: 1,000 yards

1 comment:

  1. Breaststroke is a great option for the shoulder. And congrats on hitting 200 miles running.

    ReplyDelete