Monday, October 10, 2011

Shoulder pain with an audience

Today is the first day of my week off from work. Jen and I took some vacation time to just relax and she came with me to the gym today, even though she has a membership at a different gym.

First I jumped on the treadmill. I ran about 1.5 miles before my shins were starting to hurt from the impact, so I lowered the speed significantly and raised the incline a bunch, so I was still increasing my heart rate without the smashing on my legs. I ended up finishing with about 2.7 miles.

Jen snapped a photo of me on her phone just as I finished cooling down.
I skipped the bike, because Jen was using the only good one at the rec center so I went down to the pool. Here are the sets I did.

Warm up
200 free
Core
500 free on the 9:00 descending (did it in 8:36)
200 free (10 seconds rest between sets)
150 free
100 free
50 free
500 free on the 9:00 descending (did it in 8:10)
200 free
100 free
100 free
100 free
4 x 50 (25 head out, 25 three breaths only)
4 x 50 (25 hard, 25 easy)
Cool down
200 alternating breast and free easy

Overall, I felt pretty good and recharged from the weekend. My shoulder was hurting quite a bit during the first 500 and I had to sub out for a few breast stroke sets on my first ladder in order to give the pain a rest. But it felt better as I kept going.

During my second ladder, I looked up and saw Jen on the pool deck chatting with Anita and taking pictures of me in the water. It feels strange swimming in front of my wife, and on some sort of subconscious level, I feel like I need to show off and push myself harder, which I think may have helped a little today.

Total distance: 1.59 miles

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a work out. I'm blow away. Enjoy your week off. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete