Monday, July 16, 2012

Wannabe Michael Phelps set...

I went to the Roy Rec Center this morning to get a decent swim in to start off the week. I know I'm going to have to focus on open water for the next few weeks before Bear Lake, but today was a nice kick start.

I only had a bit over an hour, so I tried to get in as many yards as possible. I just finished reading Michael Phelps' book "No Limits," and I came across a perfect pool set to train for Bear Lake. He said whenever his coach Bob Bowman was pissed at him, he'd make Phelps do this set.
This surprisingly, turned out to be a very
good read. He's a very good writer and not
entirely full of himself.

1 x 800
2 x 700
3 x 600
4 x 500
5 x 400
6 x 300
7 x 200
8 x 100

That comes out to 12,000 yards, or roughly 6.8 miles, which is dang close to my 7-mile crossing. I decided to see how much of it I could do in about 65 minutes, giving myself 30-second rests between sets. Here's what I pulled off.

1 x 800
2 x 700
2 x 600
1 x 400

I wasn't able to finish the third and final 600 because I ran out of time, so I had to settle for only a 400. It's nowhere near what I need to be at, but I figure if I get up early one of these days and hit the pool where I have plenty of time to swim, I can try and finish this set at least once before the big swim.

Total distance: 3,800 yards

P.S.: I'm so effing excited for the Olympics to start next week, I can't stop thinking about it. Watching the swim competitions is easily my favorite sporting event during the games.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited about the Olympics too!!!! I have loved them since I was a little girl both winter and summer.

    ReplyDelete