Monday, July 23, 2012

Two-mile pool swim

I only had an hour to swim today, so I made it count. I pushed it hard, knowing I'd have to if I wanted to get at least two miles in. After the first mile, I looked at my watch and it read 31:01. I gave it a little more and settled my stroke down a bit and improved my second mile, finishing both in 60:08.

It was geared a little more toward
female swimmers, but I still enjoyed it.
I was counting my strokes every half-mile. The first half, I was at 17 strokes per length, the second at 19, the third at 17 again and the fourth at 16. I must have been tightening up a bit during the tail end of the first mile, but improved in the finish.

I'm really trying to increase my weekly mileage, so my arms don't fail on me at Bear Lake. I just finished reading Lynn Sherr's "Swim: Why we love the water" and I really enjoyed it. She talks about her experiences while training for the Hellespont Swim from Europe to Asia, which is about four miles. It gave me a little extra motivation to really give then next few weeks my all.

Kelly and I are going for another long open water swim on Wednesday and I'm really looking forward to it. Hoping for at least four miles.

Total distance: 3,500 yards

No comments:

Post a Comment