Monday, July 2, 2012

Intense cardio after long rest

I took the last four days off from exercise in order to give my body a break. I'm no doctor, but that seemed like the logical thing to do given how bad my knee and shoulder were feeling. It seemed to work ... well, for my knee anyway. The pain went away, like it usually does after a week or so once it flares up, but unfortunately, despite doing absolutely nothing for four days, my shoulder hurts worse than ever. I'm almost certain there is serious damage in there.

Unlike before, I'm not just going to stop swimming for several months and hope it gets better. That obviously didn't work last time, so I'm going to swim as much as my shoulder can tolerate until I can afford to get an MRI done. More and more, though, it's looking like Bear Lake might not happen. I'm unsure if I'll have enough time to prepare myself for it. An athlete's worst mistake is underestimating a task that big. We will see. I don't want to count myself out just yet.

Anyway, I still would like to do the Layton Triathlon, so I figured I'd do some dry land cardio again. I knew running would just agitate my knee again, so I stuck to the bike for 40 minutes and then hit the treadmill, walking briskly on a heavy incline, which usually seems to kick my ass worse than running anyway. I did that for 30 minutes and then hit the weights. I made the mistake of trying some push-ups, which really made my shoulder scream at me, so I stopped right away.

Let's see what tomorrow has in store. One day at a time ...

Total distance: 11.7 miles cycling, 1.66 miles treadmill

No comments:

Post a Comment