Monday, July 30, 2012

Kicks galore

I was supposed to get up early and swim at Pineview with Kelly this morning, but despite icing last night, when I woke up, my shoulder was throbbing in pain. I've been able to keep it at bay, for the most part, with a vigilant regimen of icing during the past few weeks, but for some reason it didn't help this time.
I didn't want to skip today, so I figured I'd work on my legs a bit, although I hardly kick at all when I swim. I went to the Roy Rec Center to see how much kick work I could manage in the one-hour window.
I felt like this little kid when using a kickboard.
Although she's probably better at it than me.
I'm a total amateur at it.

Here's what I pulled off
300 free kick with fins
200 breast kick
300 free kick with fins
200 breast kick
150 free kick (this was brutal)
150 free kick with fins
200 breast kick easy (cool down)

Holy crap, was I hurting! My legs aren't used to getting that much work and I was feeling it on the first lap. I was hoping to swim a mile of kicks in the hour, but I simply couldn't do it. My fitness level below the waist is not at all where it should be. I was also surprised as to how exhausting it was in the cardio department. I think I will definitely start working more kicking sets into my swims after open water season is over. I'm sure that will help some of my pool times immensely.

Total distance: 1,500 yards

No comments:

Post a Comment