Sunday, February 26, 2012

Latest exercise injury

Lately, I've been noticing some pain on the outside of my left knee after long runs. It usually doesn't hurt until later that night and during the following few days. It was still tender from the run I did with Wes on Monday, but I decided to give it a go at the Ogden River Parkway again today.

I went with Jen, Kelly and Jessica. Kelly was attempting another personal high of 12 miles and once again, I just wanted to see what I could manage. I was a bit nervous about Jen coming, because she doesn't run and quite honestly, hates it. I had to talk her in to coming, because I wanted to spend some time with her before I went into work. Anyway, Jessica and I kind of stuck together and we ended up leaving Jen in the dust. Kelly passed both of us after about 2.5 miles, which was where Jess and I turned around.

The discomfort started almost immediately, but it never really hurt so much that I had to stop. After five miles, Jess was pretty tired and I didn't want to leave Jen by herself anymore, so we all walked a half-mile back to the trail head together. I'm glad we stopped, because my knee was (and still is) hurting, but not so much that I couldn't walk. I did some research online about the specific pain I have and how it hurts the most when I walk down stairs, and the obvious answer online was my Iliotibial band. The good news, it's easily treatable with rest and ice, so I'm going to try one last short run before the end of the month and take it very easy in the running department during the next week.

Ughhh.. If it's not one thing (shoulder), it's another thing (knee). Looks like I will be logging a lot of time on the stationary bike in the near future with both running and swimming as alternate exercise options. That's the only form of exercise that doesn't seem to eat my body alive.

Total distance: 5 miles running

1 comment:

  1. I've had IT band pain before. I was training for a marathon right after I got married and ended up having to drop out of it. As you have probably seen online, there are a lot of stretches and exercises you can do to make it better. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete