Wednesday, February 15, 2012

February swim Round 2

I returned to the pool today for my weekly swim. I warmed up with 30 minutes on the bike, and was feeling confident. With an energy gel pack and some ibuprofen in me, I was certain I'd be able to put together a short swim with little or no pain.

Last week I did two sets of 500 yards, alternating from freestyle to breaststroke every 50 yards. I wanted to swim a little more today, but not too much. Here's what I did.

Warm up:
100 free
Core:
4 X 300 (alternating 100 free and 50 breast)
Cool down:
100 breast

Not a ton of yardage, but I don't want to press my luck. My shoulder ached every day after last week's swim, but I felt good in the water today. The bilateral breathing still feels somewhat foreign to me, and it definitely is more challenging, but so far, I haven't slacked off on a single length of freestyle. I'm not so sure I'll fare as well once I start doing long distances with it. I think I'll stick to one swim per week for the remainder of the month and then jump up to twice-weekly in March.

Total distance: 1,400 yards swimming, 9 miles cycling

No comments:

Post a Comment