Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February swim Round 3

With a recent bout of knee pain from my run on Monday, my mind was off my shoulder and I was glad to get in the water today for my weekly swim. As usual, I did some cycling first, so I could get a complete cardiovascular workout and then I hobbled down the stairs to the pool. Here's today's swim.

My two best friends for short swims
Warm up
100 free
Core
5 X 300 alternating 100 free, 50 breast (30 seconds rest between sets)
50 fly (Barely managed it. Haha)
Cool down
100 breast

So far, my injury hasn't been hurting during my swims, but I'm still having a difficult time, because I'm simply out of shape. Missing so much time in the pool has set me back to square one and teaching myself to bilateral breath when I swim has been a challenge. I seriously saps my energy twice as fast compared to the way I used to swim. I used to be able to go thousands of yards without stopping and now I am gassed after 100 yards of bilateral breathing. And I still have to start incorporating flip turns. Ugh...

After one more session of doing my sets with legs of 100 free, I'm going to try doing 150 free followed by the 50 breast for a few weeks and then slowly increase the legs. The same goes for the number of swims I'm doing. For February it was once a week and for March it will be twice a week. I'd like to be back to my normal three times per week by April. Hopefully, I can get myself back into good enough swim-shape to be ready for the GSL one-miler in June.

Total distance: 13.2 miles cycling, 1,750 yards swimming

1 comment: