Friday, September 7, 2012

Reality check in pool

Today was my first day back in the water since Bear Lake and it was not easy. It felt like I took a year off from swimming, rather than three weeks. My stroke was sloppy, I was getting winded on basic sets and overall, I just felt like shit. To be fair, the sets I was doing weren't anything like what I normally do and my upper body was tremendously sore from yesterday's push-ups out at the track with Wes.
My creepy silhouette from inside the sauna.

Kelly was with me, and we did some work with equipment, which I rarely use. We did sets with kick boards, pull buoys and then the full stroke on each different stroke. It felt like I was sprinting throughout the entire workout, which in many ways, I kind of was. It really is a totally different feel than the long distance training I've become accustomed. My shoulder was feeling OK, other than the push-up soreness, until I made one big mistake. On the equipment sets, I did the full pull-only butterfly, which really hurt. My shoulder was in pain the rest of the time after that and I didn't end up doing much more.

We sat in the sauna for a while and stretched a bit and called it a day. After three-straight days of exercise, I'm going to take it easy this weekend and jump back into it on Monday. I'm really trying to mix it up, so my body doesn't continue to break down from doing too much of one thing. I think I was good about that this week, doing one long bike, one run and one swim. Not too bad, but lots of room to improve.

Total distance: A measly 1,400 yards

No comments:

Post a Comment