Thursday, June 7, 2012

One more day

I seriously can't take my mind off Saturday's race. I've been having a hard time focusing on anything else during the past few days and today Gords told me about some crappy news. A nasty wind storm is forecasted for Saturday morning and winds could reach 40+ miles per hour. Gords and Josh were forced to cancel the 8-mile race and bump the 1-mile race up to 9 a.m. instead of noon. I feel really bad for all of those who were training for the 8-mile race. Few non-swimmers don't really understand how much work and how many hours go into training for something like that and I'm sure it was a devastating blow for the 15 athletes who were registered for it.

I was already nervous the weather would negatively impact my ability to top my time from last year and I'm trying to stay positive. I figure if I can beat my time in stormy water conditions, perhaps it will feel more rewarding, even if it is only by one second.

Anyway, I went to the gym to get some work in on the stationary bike, but it was in use, so instead, I used the treadmill. I set it to a slow 3.5 miles per hour, but cranked up the incline every two minutes. That made me work up a serious sweat after about 10-15 minutes and it was just as intense as a good hike. I called it at exactly 30 minutes. My calves were certainly feeling the burn. After that, I did some light ab work, but no weights. I'm trying to give my upper body a break.

Tonight will consist of ice, ibuprofen and more ice. Tomorrow will consist of more of the same along with rest, hydration and carbohydrate loading. My goal is to drink an entire gallon of water at my desk while at work tomorrow night and load up on fruits and veggies.

Total distance: 1.6 miles (running, or hiking, or walking or whatever you wanna call it)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Everyone told me to take Thursday and Friday off before the race so I was fresh for Saturday. Looks like your strategy paid off. I am as all-consumed by goal races like you are. It's just hard when you work so hard for something to have it not make you nuts.

    ReplyDelete