Friday, January 27, 2012

Workout with some company

Today was a nice workout because Kelly joined me. I haven't been able to work out with him in a while, so it was nice to have a companion at the gym. Just like me, Kelly is training for a marathon, except he is a much braver soul than I and he is going to do the whole thing. He's already done a half before and he's taking a class up at Weber State that is helping train for the full one.

Initially I wanted to do a 3.5-mile run followed by 35 minutes on the bike. Kelly did a long run yesterday, so he took it easy and paced me for the first mile. However, after 1.5 miles my shins were throbbing. I used to get shin splints often back when I was heavier, but they have become much less of an issue over the past nine months or so. I don't know why they flared up so bad today, especially since I didn't work out yesterday. Perhaps I just didn't stretch right or enough. But I had to call the quits and hop on the bike for the rest of the way.

Because I cut my run short, I went for 45 minutes on the bike instead of 35 minutes. I pushed it a little harder than normal, though and I was working up a nice sweat. I followed it with some light bicep/tricep work and some crunches. Then Kelly and I chatted it up in the sauna for a little while before hitting my place for some grilled-cheese sandwiches and watched an episode of "How I Met Your Mother."

On Sunday, I'm joining Kelly for a 7-mile run up by Dinosaur Park in Ogden. Hopefully I can make it. I've never gone that far before.

Total distance: 1.5 miles running, 12.7 miles cycling

No comments:

Post a Comment