Monday, January 16, 2012

Kids and weight rooms don't mix

I remember lifting weights when I was younger, but I don't think I ever started doing it until I was in my teens. To be honest, I don't think kids should ever be using heavy weights until they are a bit older. For example, today at the gym there were a bunch of kids anywhere from 8-14 in the weight room. This is probably my biggest pet peeve when I work out. They don't know what they are doing, they screw around, they are noisy and they often are using the precious few machines at the rec center when I want to use them.

I don't know what it is that makes them do it, but it seems like they insist on using every single machine in the cardio/weight room for a couple of minutes each, before their attention spans lapse and they move on to the next one. On several occasions I've seen kids almost get hurt because they aren't using machines the right way and its just a matter of time before one of them breaks some of the equipment. I don't know if I should be pissed off at the parents who are at the gym and not supervising their children or if I should blame the rec center staff for not booting these little shits out.

I'm glad to get that off my chest. It's just a matter of time before I smack one of 'em. Anyway, I ran three miles on the track before snagging a bike for 30 minutes after. Good start to the week.

Total distance: 3 miles running, 7.25 miles cycling

No comments:

Post a Comment