Thursday, January 5, 2012

Nerves already kicking in for Saturday's race

With Saturday morning's race fast-approaching, I'm already getting very nervous. Mostly about the condition of my foot, which has been sore ever since my short little 1-mile run earlier this week. I went and bought some new insoles that will hopefully keep me going during race day. Jen and I are mostly going on this trip just to visit with my Dad and my stepmother, Marie, but the race is the only thing I can think about.

Carb loading with some whole-grain pesto linguine
Anyway, went to the gym today and didn't want to push anything too hard a few days before my run so I just did 8.5 miles on the bike and went down to the pool. I'm going to try my best to get in as many yards as I can doing only kicks in the next 4-6 weeks while I can't swim, and today I only managed 500 yards before my thighs started to ache. I don't normally kick much when I swim, so those muscles aren't used to it. Normally, the aching is good. It means you are pushing yourself and really getting a good work out, but I don't want to be fresh come Saturday with no soreness.

I'm also starting my carb loading. Today I went to Noodles & Company, probably one of Jen and I's favorite places to eat, and sucked down a whole-wheat pesto linguine with a flat bread. For dinner it's just going to be fruits and veggies and tomorrow I'll add a little bit of protein (probably just grilled chicken) into the mix. Over the next 36 hours I also plan on drinking water like a fish...

Total distance: 8.5 mile cycling, 500 yards swimming (kick)

No comments:

Post a Comment