Monday, November 28, 2011

Heartbroken: Swimming goes on the shelf

So I'm pretty sure it's official. My shoulder is shot. The pain has not faded, despite my best efforts to ice and rest it. I'm going to have to see my doctor about it again, but I can't afford the work, x-rays, and God forbid, an MRI at the moment. I'm waiting until the start of the new year, so my insurance deductible is reset before I have it looked at. I truly am heartbroken about it. For anybody who is trying to get in shape and/or lose weight, they know the biggest hardship is staying in a routine. This completely destroys it, so I'm going to have to increase other forms of exercise in the meantime.

With swimming temporarily on the shelf, this is going to have to suffice as a workout blog, rather than a swim blog. My knees had been giving me issues lately as well, so as a preemptive strike, I went out and bought new running shoes. My other ones were torn and beaten and gave me zero support, plus they were starting to smell something fierce. I'm not sure how many miles I put on them, because I owned them for over a year before I began working out again, and they doubled as my casual everyday shoes, as well.
The new kicks
The old kicks. Note the shredded heels.
Anyway, I hit the gym today and tried them out. I ran 3.2 miles, but just like they used to, my feet started going numb right around the three-mile mark. I'm going to try and loosen up the laces a bit next time, but if that doesn't work, I may have to trade them out for a different brand that specializes in wide feet. The problem is those 'special' brands are VERY expensive. When I bought these shoes, the guy at the store told me this particular brand is popular for those with wide feet, so I hope after I break them in, they will be OK.

Finished off the day with 6.5 miles on the bike and ran out of time before I had to leave, so I didn't squeeze any weights or ab work in. Tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear about your shoulder. Hopefully next year you can get it checked out again and figure out how to make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should go to Striders in Layton. I went there with Kelly and Marilyn a few years ago, and they do diagnostics to find the right shoe for your feet. They don't carry exclusive brands, I don't think, so you could try a shoe there you like, then try finding it somewhere else.

    That's my plan when I get enough $$ to buy new shoes, because my feet go numb too when I run longer distances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang Matt, that sucks about the shoulder. But you've got the right move finding an alternative that gives you that good cardio. Running is tough and it really works you. Keep up the good work and stick with it. I bet within a year you'll be running a marathon.

    ReplyDelete