Friday, November 11, 2011

Resting for the big day

Ice, heat, drink, repeat. That's how my day has been going so far. Tomorrow's the swim meet I've been looking forward to, so I'm trying my best to physically and mentally prepare myself today. My shoulder is still aching a great deal, so I've been icing it off and on and jumping in and out of a hot bath all morning for about 15 minutes each. I was supposed to swim in the 1,650 free tonight, but I couldn't get the night off from work, so I'm going to have to settle for the 50 free, 200 free, 100 IM and 500 free tomorrow. Perhaps even a relay.

I've also been inhaling water like it's my job. Hydration and carbo-loading are key the day (or even days) before a race. It's really bringing back memories from high school. I can't believe I was able to eat whatever junk I wanted, drink soda and practice hard the day before a race. Not anymore, though. Today is strictly water, fruits, veggies and complex carbohydrates with low fat. I'll throw in a little bit of grilled chicken for my protein.

Speaking of high school, I went and watched Roy High take on Bonneville and Bear River yesterday in a tri-meet. It was fun to watch and genuinely got my blood pumping. I was even getting butterflies in my stomach watching them race. I can't believe it's been almost nine years since I last competed in a swim meet. I'm almost certain I'll hardly sleep tonight. Hopefully I'm not stuck at work too late and can get into bed at reasonable hour. Anyway, thanks for reading my "Uncle Rico" moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment