Thursday, May 9, 2013

I heart chlorine

Today was the first day of swim class. I'm taking it as part of the employee Wellness Pays program at my work, which allows us to take three hours of work time per week for fitness and health purposes. And let me tell you, the first class was wonderful. It wasn't much, but the second I opened the locker room door and got a big whiff of that humid chlorinated air, I felt like I was in heaven. I friggin love that smell!

My new home pool. Sorry Roy Rec Center. ... It's not you, it's me.
For the first day, we were simply divided up into the six lanes and tested with a 12-minute swim. There were no rules, just simply go as far as you can, with or without breathers, before the time runs out. I'm sure our instructor just wanted us to gauge our levels and give each of us an individual goal to reach by the end of the course. Admittedly, I was nervous. I haven't been in the pool for about four months and although I've been working out a lot, swimming is a whole different beast. Immediately, I felt it, as my shoulders tightened up within the first 200 yards (we weren't given time to warm up). I ended up doing 100 yards of breaststroke about halfway through, but finished with 700 yards when the whistle blew. Not a strong mark, by any means, but it was the most in our class (13 people) which definitely stroked my ego a bit.

In the end, that's all we ended up doing, which was a little bit disappointing, but I do understand this is a class for all swimming levels, so workouts have to be planned to work for everyone. Fair enough. I'm just happy to be back in the water, and it's probably not going to allow me to overdo it on my shoulder, too. I did an easy 300-yard cool down and hopped out. Showering and heading back to work is something new I'm gonna need to get used to. Weber State's pool is only a 10-minute walk back to my office. The second I sat down, I treated myself to a granola bar and a Diet Coke. Haha!

Total distance: 1,000 yards swimming

No comments:

Post a Comment