Monday, February 4, 2013

New job, new motivation

I've been in a significant exercise dry spell during the past couple of weeks. I've been stressing as I wade through the hiring process of a potential new job, which would make life so much better for Jen and I. You know, interviews, call backs, waiting and more waiting. I wasn't able to sleep for more than an hour at a time for about two weeks, and it took a devastating toll on my body. Sluggish, tired and absolutely no motivation to work out.

That being said, I ended up getting the job and I start next Monday. It felt like a huge load was lifted off my shoulders and ironically, that night, I still was unable to sleep, this time out of excitement. But I'm back to normal now and today Kelly joined me for a swim at the Roy Rec Center, our first swim in a long time.

Staying true to my 2013 goals, I focused less on yardage and more on quality. Here's what I did.

Warm up
150 yard freestyle
Core
5 x 100 freestyle sprints on 2:00
10 x 50 freestyle sprints on 1:00
Cool down
350 alternating breast and free every 50 (easy)

The sprint sets were very tough. I was sucking wind the whole time, so I knew I was pushing myself hard getting solid bang for my buck without overloading my shoulder with too many yards. It felt great to get back in the pool, though.

Total distance: 1,500 yards swimming

No comments:

Post a Comment